Friday 29 March 2013

THE TASK OF RUNNING KENYA__ LAPTOP FOR MY SON

THE TASK OF RUNNING KENYA .
LAPTOP FOR MY SON

I am an ardent supporter of the current Government-elect Jubilee and am taking keen interest to the manifesto which is supposed to govern me for the next five years. I have to admit this from the onset or else the post below will bring more critics on my end - which I don’t object later after reading this.

Bold and sweet as it must sound to offer every class one pupil a laptop in Kenya would be outright rape to our current straining economic standings. I am not trying to fault the promises given to a Kenyan by the Jubilee government but my basic calculations should inform a smart Kenyan that the ultimate steps to a strong economy is by reducing the government spending and strive to increase revenue. This is how managers struggle to achieve if am not wrong- corrections invited.

Going by the present figures in our government’s debts; treasury Bills and Bonds (Specifically borrowed from domestic market) are rising by a stunning sh20 billion over the last eight months. This by anyone’s calculation is not good for the Kenyan economy. How will I as the taxpayer fight with this high cost of living and yet manage to pay the interests on top of the 1 trillion payments made from borrowing from the local market alone?
If this is not looked upon with the small wage earner’s eye of progress, then we risk dying of frustrations, hunger and disillusionment while enjoying scenes from episodes of a movie watched with the same gadgets that are giving birth to our problems.
Mine is just an observation and an argument I lay bare to display my simple understanding of the facts and figures. I say these words with a welcome to any correction from anyone who might have a detailed idea of how this will be done without compromising my very standard of living which is already pathetic.
I remain,
Githinji wa Mwaniki

No comments:

Post a Comment